The main aim of the VALORLACT project is to demonstrate and validate a method to process whey into added-value or energy products, contributing to minimising environmental impact from cheese factories while improving competition in that sector.
The detailed aims of the VALORLACT project are as follows:
- To develop a methodology to collect and/or process whey to make it profitable to implement systems, equipment or plants to be used as raw materials in animal feed and human food, or to generate biofuels (biogas).
- To complete an inventory and situation diagnosis of the current generation and management of whey in the CAPV to ascertain a detailed idea of the scope of the problems and actual possibilities of application of the options proposed.
- To validate the technologies for whey recovery and exploitation through the installation and start-up of two pilot plants of whey concentration and biogas production in a cheese factory.
- To produce product prototypes for animal feed or human food which may be of interest to the market.
- To develop an Action Plan to enable the recovery and exploitation of at least 80% of the whey generated in the CAPV to include legal, technical, administrative, environmental and economic matters for correct storage, transport, processing and handling of whey.
- To agree and validate the Action Plan through the definition of a demonstration test for whey collection and processing as well as conducting Expert Panels with the sectors involved in the potential start-up.
- To define a Road Map for efficient implementation of the proposed Action Plan.