Regarding the use of dairy whey in animal fodder, the following tests were carried out:
- Laying hens farming: 10 week test
- Meat chicken (broiler) farming: 1 x 42 days cycle
- In-vitro tests for dairy ewes formula
In general, results obtained to date show a positive impact from dairy whey addition to different fodder.
- Adding 6% of dairy whey to laying hen fodder increased laying rate by 9.1% in relation to another group fed with commercial fodder. The results of these tests can be found in the article “Formulación de lactosueros para aves de puesta” located in “Resources”.
- Fodder consumption by broilers was also reduced (9%) with a 8.8 weight increase, not affecting conversion rate.
- Regarding dairy ewes, a 12% dairy whey addition did not impact fodder digestibility for suckling lambs and improved microbial synthesis efficiency when combined with peas as protein source.